Chocolate Chip Muffins

I love chocolate chip muffins, especially when there's buttermilk in there. It reacts nicely with the baking powder, which in my opinion creates the perfect consistency, plus it adds just the right amount of sourness to balance out the sweetness of the sugar and dark chocolate. 

My favorite recipe (which makes 12) is an amalgamation of various recipes that I found online, combined with some additional elements and modifications derived from my own experimentation. It goes a little something like this:

1. Prep the muffin pan. If you have those little paper cups, cool. I didn't, so I just cut out a dozen four inch squares of parchment paper, then mashed them into a slightly dampened pan (so that they'd stick) with a standard pint glass, which happens to be just the right size. Then I sprayed my makeshift muffin cups with cooking oil and sprinkled the inside generously with white sugar.  

2. Put a sifter over a large bowl, through which I add:
    
    1 3/4 cups flour
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 Tbsp cornstarch
    1/2 tsp salt

3. I then mix the wet ingredients in a measuting cup:
    
    1/2 stick butter, melted
    1/4 cup veg oil
    1/2 cup buttermilk 
    4 tsp fake vanilla extract (or 2 tsp real) - personally, for most applications, I'm fine with the fake stuff

4. In a separate bowl, I mix up: 
    
    1 egg
    1 egg white

5. Combine the wet with the dry until it's all hyrdrated, then gently stir/fold the eggs in until they are no longer visible.

6. Add about half of a bag or so of dark chocolate chips, somewhere in the neighborhood of a cup. Stir them in until they are evenly dispersed. Use a rubber scraper to get under the batter.

7. Use an appropriately-sized spring-loaded scooper to fill the pan. I'm guessing that the one I used was somewhere around 1/3 cup or so. It should come up to about the top of the pan when you fill them. Once they're all in there, I sprinkle some more white sugar on top. 

8. At this point, I ususally let the batter rest for about fifteen minutes or so while I preheat the oven. Cook them at 425°F for about 8 minutes and then 350°F for another 16 minutes or so (until they just started to turn golden on the edges). 

9. Enjoy. Share. Next time, you might even want to make a double batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment