Next?

Whenever I complete a big project, there are usually a few days in there where I'm not sure what to do with myself. Having been working on Embers full-time since the weekend after Thanksgiving, now that I'm done with it, the question looms as to what I should do next. In fact, it was my compulsion to remain productive in the interim that led to the creation of this blog.    

A few months ago, I wrote a detailed outline for a mystery novel, and more than likely, this is what I will work on. I also have about 30,000 words of a different novel written that just seemed to come from out of nowhere. I was on a roll with that for a couple of months, which I started writing immediately after having finished my first novel. Then my dad died, and I've had a hard time getting back into that project ever since. I figure that I'll revisit that one when I'm ready.  

I've also got several ideas for TV/streaming media shows, as well as a few more screenplays that I have fully outlined but have not yet written. For now, though, I think that I want to stay focused on writing books, at least until my work can gain some traction. The important thing right now is to reach an audience. 

As for music, I continue to practice every day, which is where the seeds that later become songs generally come from -- but only every once in a while does the muse strike and lets me know that it's time to write another album. In that sense, I don't necessarily choose my next project sometimes so much as my next project seems to choose me. I just roll with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment