Breakthrough

I try to conceptualize my goals in the same way that a martial artist chops through a cement block. They aren't striking the block, per se, but the space behind it. 

Whenever I set a goal for myself, I try to see the big picture first, albeit in soft focus. Only later do the details begin to emerge. For example, if I'm writing a song, I try to imagine what it might sound like as a fully realized compostion, and then I start to piece it all together. I can hear the vocal melody in my head before I know what the words are going to be. On the same token, if I am writing a book or a screenplay, I am a major proponent of outlining, as it allows me to see the big picture first... the space behind the surmountable piece of concrete. 

In life, I try to project where I want to be and then work out the specifics in terms of how to get there. The details are usually kind of hazy at first, but if my mind is focused on the future, then I find that it often makes the present seem a hell of a lot more manageable. 

It also seems to be helping with learning another language. I know where I want to be. Now I'm just taking the steps to get there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment